Information for presenters
Please upload your oral presentation files directly to: http://cos2010.mediaco.ca. You must submit your presentations no later than June 25. The submission site will close on Friday June 25 at 1400.
If you miss the June 25 deadline, you must submit your presentation at the conference site at least 3 hours prior to your session. We will not accept presentations within 30 minutes of your scheduled time. Memory sticks will NOT be accepted in the presentation rooms. There will be no exceptions.
Please visit the Speaker Ready Room, Room 201C, Quebec Convention Centre a minimum of three (3) hours before your session begins. Bring a backup copy of our presentation and check in with the Presentation Manager to ensure that your presentation was received and is assigned correctly. Changes may be made at this time. No changes or submissions are allowed within 30 minutes of a session start time.
Speaker Ready Room: Room 201C - Quebec Convention Centre
1400-1900 Friday June 25
0700-1700 Saturday June 26 - Monday June 29
3- and 5-Minute Presentations
Cataract papers are all 3-minute presentations. Retina papers are all 5-minute presentations. Some papers in Community Health are also 3 minutes. Please check the program for your specific timing, and follow this format:
- limit your presentation to 3 or 5 min. You will be cut off if you exceed the allotted time.
- prepare a maximum of 6 slides using this format: Slide 1 introduction; Slide 2-5 Methods & Results; Slide 6 Conclusion.
- do not include embedded video clips in your presentation.
5 Points to Successful Presentations
- When inserting movies, sounds or images always use the 'Insert' dialogue of PowerPoint, do not use drag & drop as this can create image handling errors. Include the source file(s) of any multimedia content as well as instructions as to where and how it/they should run as we may need to re-link or is some cases reinsert the content.
- Digital photos should be at a maximum resolution of 150 dpi to minimize file size. PowerPoint's image rendering engine outputs at 150 dpi, using larger images does not increase resolution, only file size.
- Naming of your file(s) is very important; Name your presentation so that it reflects your LASTNAME and PRESENTATION TITLE. Example: "SMITH.TOXICOLOGY.PPT". Naming the file COS2010 or similar derivative makes placing your presentation in the correct session difficult.
- Embed all fonts. This is in the Tools > Options > Save menu. Any presentation that utilizes a non system font should include the True Type font file (TTF) for installation on the show computer. Please send only the TTF file, not the whole font directory.
- Presentations developed on platforms outside of PowerPoint, such as Flash or Keynote, need to be submitted with an appropriate Windows viewer, or formatted as a self executing show (.exe file). Our Presentation Management System is MS PowerPoint based. Note to PowerPoint for Mac users: check 'append extension' when the option is offered during saving. Please let us know in advance if your content was developed on a MAC.
Please contact MEDIACO directly for assistance: Lou Dechant, Tel: (888) 440-4477 ext. 2.
Your Privacy & Confidentiality will be preserved. Only COS and MEDIACO staff are able to view these files. All uploaded files are removed from the upload site once added to our database. All presentations will be permanently deleted from the onsite computers at the conclusion of your session.
During your presentation
A speaker timer system will be used. Please pay attention to the lights - Red means STOP. We need to keep the presentations on time. Most talks are 7 minutes only (unless otherwise noted in your correspondence with the session chair).
As part of the requirements for accreditation, full disclosure of any financial relationships the authors have with commercial enterprises must be made. A slide for this purpose can be downloaded from the COS website. This slide should follow your introductory slide.
Poster presentations have been scheduled for specific days, according to topic.
- Saturday June 26
International and Public Health Ophthalmology
- Sunday June 27
- Monday June 28
The principle author is required to present the poster between 1000-1045 (morning break) and 1500-1545 (afternoon break). Poster judging will take place during the morning break. We would encourage you to be present during the lunch hour, as many delegates will view your poster at this time.
Size: Total usable space per poster board is 90 1/2" wide by 40 3/8" high.
Disclosure: The COS discourages commercialization of your scientific presentation with identification of specific products or companies. Please disclose any financial interests on the bottom of your poster.
Best Poster Awards: First place: $1000; second place: $750; third place: $500. Posters will be judged on the following criteria: communicability, scientific communication and scientific merit/value. Authors must be present at their posters when requested.