COS and affiliated societies
The Canadian Opthalmological Society is the national specialty society representing Canadian ophthalmologists. Our purpose is to assure the provision of optimal eye care to all Canadians by promoting excellence in ophthalmology and providing services to support its members in practice.
COS is recognized as the authority on eye care in Canada. Since its inception, the Society has set vision standards used by the federal government for automobile drivers, pilots, fire fighters, police officers and the Canadian Coast Guard. COS is a member of the National Coalition for Vision Health, a group of eye care and vision research organizations that provide national leadership on Canada's vision health issues and in the development of related public policy. COS is currently partnering with CNIB on a joint project examining the cost of vision impairment in Canada. Through the efforts of its Board of Directors, its committees, its members and its ties with national and international eye care organizations, the Canadian Ophthalmological Society continues to work to improve the quality of eye care for all Canadians.
The 2009 COS annual meeting is our signature educational event. Working with our affiliated societies, COS offers a high-quality, accredited scientific meeting. COS and the annual meeting chairs for each affiliated society develop the scientific program according to member needs and the latest developments in the field of ophthalmology.
Planning Committee 2009 COS Annual Meeting
Chair, COS Council on Continuing Professional Development:
Alan Slomovic, MD FRCSC
Affiliated societies and special interests groups
- Canadian Cornea, External Disease & Refractive Surgery Society: Guillermo Rocha, MD
- Canadian Glaucoma Society: Yvonne Buys, MD and Nerru Gupta, MD
- Canadian Neuro-ophthalmology Society: Agnes Wong, MD
- Canadian Society of Oculoplastic & Reconstructive Surgery: Larry Allen, MD
- Canadian Ophthalmic Pathology Society: Godfrey Heathcoate, MD
- Canadian Association of Pediatric Ophthalmology: Patrick Hamel, MD
- Canadian Retina & Vitreous Society: David Maberley, MD
- Canadian Uveitis Society: William Hodge, MD
- Canadian Society for International and Public Health Ophthalmology: Ralf Buhrmann, MD
- Comprehensive Ophthalmology: Lindsay Ong-Tone, MD
- Low Vision Rehabilitation: Sam Markowitz, MD
- Hubert Drouin, Executive Director
- Inika Anderson, Manager Continuing Professional Development