Information for presenters
Paper (oral) presentations
To help ensure a flawless presentation, please follow these steps:
- Upload your PC or MAC presentation directly to:
- Submit your presentation before Wednesday June 8. The upload site closes at 1600 ET on Wednesday June 8.
- Include a financial disclosure slide in your presentation.
- Bring a back-up copy of your presentation on a memory stick to the meeting.
- Check that your presentation has been received and is scheduled correctly by visiting the Speaker Preview room (Arbutus) when you arrive on site.
- Edit and revise your presentation, if necessary, the day before your scheduled talk. You may make changes up to 1 hour before your presentation time.
- Arrive on time for the start of your session and check in with the session moderator.
Please note: Your presentation must be uploaded ahead of time. We will not accept presentations within 1 hour of the start of the session. If you do not upload your presentation, you will not be allowed to present.
Speaker Preview Room
Arbutus - Westin Bayshore
1600-1900 Wednesday June 8
0700-1700 Thursday June 9 - Saturday June 11
0700-1100 Sunday June 12
Length of presentations
Check the program for the specific time and length of your presentation. Most paper presentations are 7 minutes in length. Please plan your presentation appropriately and respect the time limit.
Cataract: all papers are 3 minutes in length. Limit your presentation to 3 minutes. You will be cut off if you exceed the allotted time. Do not include embedded video clips in your presentation.
Cornea and Retina: all cornea and retina papers are 5 minutes in length. Limit your presentation to 5 minutes. You will be cut off if you exceed the allotted time. Do not include embedded video clips in your presentation.
The confidentiality of your presentations will be preserved. Only COS and MEDIACO staff are able to view presentation files. All files are removed from the upload site once added to our database. All presentations will be permanently deleted from the onsite computers at the conclusion of your session.
Set-up: 0700-0830 Friday June
Take-down: 1330-1430 Sunday June 12
Size: Total usable space per poster board is 90 1/2" wide by 40 3/8" high.
Location: Stanley Park foyer
COS Awards of Excellence
Best Poster Awards: First place: $1000; second place: $750; third place: $500.
NEW THIS YEAR: To be considered for the award, your poster must be submitted electronically in advance of the meeting. Upload directly to http://cos2011.mediaco.ca Posters must be received before 2400 ET Sunday June 5. Submit your poster as a PDF or PowerPoint presentation.
Posters will be evaluated according to communicability, scientific communication and scientific merit/value. Judges will be looking for things like:
- Innovative research, rigourous methods and conclusions supported by results
- Title, authors are easily identifiable
- Research question, background, methods, results, discussion and conclusion are relevant, logical and linked to one another
- The poster is engaging, clear and eye catching
- Formatting is appropriate and logical; graph and tables and clear and easily visible
- Engaging information that can be read in 3-4 minutes
- Friday June 10: Cataract Surgery, Uveitis, Glaucoma and International/Public Health posters will be judged during the lunch hour. Authors are asked to be present at their poster between 1215-1330 on Friday June 10.
- Saturday June 11: Oculoplastics, Retina, Pediatrics, Neuro-ophthalmology and Cornea posters will be judged during the lunch hour. Authors are asked to be present at their poster between 1215-1330 on Saturday June 11.